- Sets up DMARC authentication for their domain.
- Publishes their BIMI text record for the domain in the Domain Name System (DNS).
- This record includes information about where a mailbox provider can find the sender's logo for the domain.
- Sends an email to a subscriber.
- The email's header has the information used by the mailbox provider to look up the DMARC and BIMI records upon receipt.
The mailbox provider:
- Receives the sender's email and authenticates the domain using the DMARC record.
- Looks up the domain's BIMI record in the DNS.
- If the email passes DMARC authentication and the BIMI record is set up correctly, the mailbox provider retrieves the logo's location information from the BIMI record and displays the logo in the subscriber's email client.