SmartSeeds are part of Return Path’s Deliverability Data offering, which also includes CoreSeeds. SmartSeeds show relative engagement-based filtering—meaning how the interactions the subscriber has with the message affects how it is being placed, whether in the inbox or the spam folder.
Four SmartSeeds persona types combine to create a model of what real users do with their emails. Using these personas, SmartSeeds can recreate the most important engagement groupings and see how that affects the placement of your email (inbox vs spam). The personas help you determine how your inbox placement rate is impacted by specific interaction with your domain.
Metrics include engagement-based placement data for Gmail, Microsoft, and Yahoo, subject line and message content, along with Gmail categories data. Both individual campaign performance and trends over time are monitored.
How SmartSeeds work
SmartSeeds are included along with CoreSeeds in the Return Path Seed List, and you add SmartSeeds and CoreSeeds to your email sends in exactly the same way.
- First, you send your email campaigns to your seed list.
- SmartSeeds, powered by advanced analytics, systematically choose which emails to engage with in the inbox. This allows SmartSeeds to replicate the engagement patterns seen with real users.
- Placement data is then routed into Return Path Platform and Partner Platform. SmartSeeds are automatically separated out from CoreSeeds and displayed in the appropriate tile or graph.
- Mark an email as read
- Move an email to a custom folder
- Leave an email unread
- Delete an email without reading
- Click on links
- Mark messages as spam
- Mark messages as not spam
- Move an email to the spam folder or trash
The metrics reported in SmartSeeds don’t require partnerships with mailbox providers to get the data. SmartSeeds are similar to CoreSeeds in that Return Path signs up for and owns those email accounts and monitors and records emails received at those accounts and where they’re delivered.
Because SmartSeeds are treated as new subscribers by mailbox providers, the engagement metrics reported to Return Path can initially be uneven while the mailbox provider learns the behavior patterns each SmartSeed displays. Your metrics should generally stabilize within two or three days, but can take up to two weeks.
If you seed manually, you can choose to be alerted when there is a change to your seed list, which includes SmartSeeds. If you seed automatically, your ESP will update the seed list for you.
To be alerted about changes to your seed list:
- Go to My Account and make sure the Users tab is open.
- Select Edit My Profile beside your name. (Or, if you are an administrator, find the user who will receive alerts and select Details, then Edit User.)
- Scroll down to Alerting and select the checkbox beside Seed List Changes.
- Select Save.