The Spamhaus Block List (SBL) is a list of IPs of spam sources, including known spammers, spam gangs, spam operations, spam support services or has sent unsolicited email to the Spamhaus trap network.
- Listings occur at the IP level.
- The impact on deliverability is high.
Reasons for getting listed
The SBL listings are based on evidence that an IP address or IP range is being controlled by a spammer, spam operation, spam support service, or it has sent unsolicited email to the Spamhaus trap network. These unwanted and unsolicited issues are threats to mail systems using the SBL.
How to get off this blocklist
Removal is at the discretion of the Spamhaus team and requests must come from the Internet Service Provider (ISP) that owns the listed IP address.
To better understand the potential problems that caused the listing, review the SBL website. Once you have reviewed, you should then:
- Correct the root cause of the spam issue
- Contact the Abuse or Security desk of your ISP or ESP to review the situation, including what you did to resolve the problem
- Ask them to send a removal request to the SBL Removals Team after they agree the issue has been resolved
Tips for staying off this list
- Use confirmed opt-in
- Grow your subscriber list organically with tactics such as website sign ups, SEO, and point of sale sign ups
- Do not purchase or rent lists, or use other risky acquisition methods
- Conduct ongoing list maintenance and list hygiene
- Protect your sign up forms from abuse by using CAPTCHA