Listed below are common reasons spam traps are on your email list:
- You have a security breach in your network and a spammer has gained control of your list file.
- You have an infrastructure problem that is creating backscatter, or bounce messages sent to an address that was falsely placed in an email's Return-Path. The email's fake Return-path address may be a spam trap.
- You are harvesting addresses or receiving addresses from partners who practice list harvesting.
- You have poor list hygiene or are receiving addresses from partners with poor list hygiene.
- Inactive subscribers have been turned into recycled spam traps by mailbox providers.
- You are purchasing email addresses from a list broker.