To begin using Email Client Monitor, you need to embed the Email Client Monitor pixel into your email campaigns to begin collecting data.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) information
The Email Client Monitor pixel is GDPR-friendly. This pixel does not store subscribers’ IP addresses. However, the pixel still collects IP addresses in order to gather geolocation data. Use this pixel if you are comfortable with Return Path collecting and processing then discarding subscribers’ IP addresses.
Please note that you need to ensure you have obtained recipient consent in order to do any type of subscriber behavior-based tracking, including any pixel tracking service. If you are unsure whether or not you have appropriate consent from your European Economic Area (EEA) subscribers, you should consult your legal counsel to confirm your use.
How to set up your campaigns
Follow these instructions to set up your campaigns to include the Email Client Monitor pixel.
- Log in to Email Client Monitor.
- Select Pixel Setup to find the pixel URL for your account.
- Copy your customized pixel code and place it between the body tags within your email's HTML code.
- You must use HTTPS (secure) as your image source link.
- We recommend using special and custom tags where you can. These tags can give you deeper insights into your subscribers’ behavior, which can better inform your email optimization strategies or help you prioritize any changes you need to make to your program.
- Special tags: Special tags are tags that you can include in your Email Client Monitor pixel that allow you to specify the campaigns and subscribers you send by Campaign ID and Subscriber ID.
- Custom tags: A custom tag is a field that you can create and embed into the Email Client Monitor pixel to collect or segment data reported in the Email Client Monitor user interface. Custom tags can help you use the subscriber information you already have to understand the differences in behavior between segments of your customers.
- <img src="https://pixel.app.returnpath.net/pixel.gif?r=5590180100beeb73efad26b67a26b38xxxxxxxxxx" width="1" height="1" />
- It may take up to 2 hours for the data to populate in the tool.
Tags are joined to tag values with an equals sign (=). Tags are separated by an ampersand (&).
Do not use any of the following special characters within tag values:
- Semi‐colons (;)
- Greater‐than or less‐than symbols ()
- Question marks (?)
- Ampersands (&)
- Single quotes ( ')
- Double‐quotes (")
To create separation and readability within tags or tag values, use:
- Dash (‐)
- Underscore (_)